Rover 220 Coupe Turbo Ex-Dunlop Racer

Want to share photos and details of your projects? Then post them here.

Moderator: Forum Staff

James3990

Re: Rover 220 Coupe Turbo Ex-Dunlop Racer

#46 Post by James3990 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:01 am

Small update:

Made a start on the remote oil cooler system, I wasn’t happy with the heat exchanger that came on the car but I wanted to keep the pipes/connectors.

So first off, I had this brand new oil cooler to use (235mm x 15 row) which was very similar to what came on the car, but after a test fit it was just a little too tight and interfering with the PAS pipes.

So I started shopping around again for a revised oil cooler and the variety of sizes and shapes was endless! With this in mind, I made myself a cardboard template using an old cereal box and scribbled down a few options :D

I was pretty much at the limit using a 235mm width unit, so I started looking at smaller width coolers with more rows.

In the end, I decided to go with a 115mm x 19 row unit which overall fits better in the location with plenty of clearance from the PAS system. Here is a picture of it along side the original replacement and old unit.

With the correct adaptors ordered, I was able to reuse the AN fittings and start a mock up on the car.

First job was to allow the oil cooler to be positioned upside down (connections at the bottom) and as far forward as possible against the slam panel. This involved a little trimming of the washer bottle hole to allow enough space for connecting the line up to the 150 degree AN fitting.

Next job was to trim away at the slam panel to allow the other pipe access to the 45 degree AN fitting and also widening the headlight surround for better airflow access just like the Roversport requirements.

And that’s about it really, happy with this proposal so next job is to repaint where I’ve cut the holes, make some mounting brackets for the cooler and tidy everything up before ordering some oil 8)

Thanks for looking.
Rover 220 Coupe Turbo
Rover 220 Coupe Turbo Racer

James3990

#47 Post by James3990 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:20 pm

Small update:

Couple of 'small jobs' done on the car since the last update whilst I wait for parts to arrive.

Started to make my own 'Dunlop' plinth for the front bumper:

It needs some mesh behind and also the Dunlop logo painting on, but I wanted to get this template done now as this feature does actually serve a purpose and provide better airflow/cooling to the radiator so I wanted to get the bumper done too.

I aligned up the plinth and made the first cut.

Crash bar also needed cutting so it was time to get the angle grinder out.

Crash bar done (keeping it a single piece bar as you can see), sanded down and then painted.

With the last few days left before kids break up from school, I decided to take full advantage of the garden and get a couple of items painted :D

Also painted the Intercooler & removable slam panel which I'll show in the next post as I forgot to get pictures.

And then finally Ive turned the car around 180 degrees in the garage so I can focus my time in the engine bay.

I managed to get myself some brand new genuine AP callipers.

Oil cooler is now finally fixed into position and hoses connected for good. Don’t want to admit how many hours I’ve spent getting this oil cooler fitted safely, but I’m pretty much happy with it now, just waiting for some brackets to arrive which holds the pipes.

Refitted the strut brace and intercooler after a quick refresh with paint and then made a start on getting the GRP headlights fitted and aligned. These still need cutting open to allow airflow into the engine bay. Not sure what colour I’m painting these yet, maybe black along with the indicators?

Thanks for looking.

P.s - wiring is a mess, before anyone points out. Saving this job till last!!
Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#48 Post by GTiJohn » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:30 pm

Coming on nicely :clapping
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

henryiett

#49 Post by henryiett » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:42 pm

Looks fantastic and good work
Rover 214si 1990

James3990

#50 Post by James3990 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:17 am

Thanks for the comments guys, another update to report.

Brought some rubber trim just to keep my braided oil lines safe from chaffing.

Did the same where the oil cooler line goes round the front of the slam panel.

Then sourced a used rover grille.

Like I did with the bumper and crash bar, I wanted to maximise the amount of airflow through the heat exchangers so I drilled out the rivets and removed the backing plate:

Did my best to align the grille against the bonnet and then drilled the holes. I've lost two of the mounting studs by removing the backing plate however with the bonnet being GRP (very lightweight), the 3 mounting studs are still strong enough.

Didn't realise how much the bonnet underlaps the grille, so again I got the Dremel out to maximise airflow into the intercooler.

Brought some anodized black separator brackets for the oil cooler lines 8)

Felt like I was 17 again buying a role of mesh! It was probably the last time I’ve played with the stuff.

I've not finished the grille yet, but you get the idea...

and finally, with all this cutting and trimming, I just wanted to test fit the front end and make sure it all goes together 'fairly well'.

As motivating as this looks, it all needs removing again so I can focus on finishing the electrics now and getting the car running.

Thanks for looking!
Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

James3990

#51 Post by James3990 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:04 am

Small update:

Finished off installing the mesh to the grille and GRP headlight blanks.

I then moved onto securing the bonnet on the car and I’ve decided to go down a slightly different route to any other tomcat racer I’ve seen.

Pitking quick release bonnet poppers, really good quality, nice and easy to install and a really simple design… just how I like things :D

For anyone interested in knowing more, here is a video on YouTube explaining more

- https://youtu.be/TQ6VsupnS9E

Thanks for looking!
Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#52 Post by GTiJohn » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:38 pm

Fascinating to see this car take shape :clapping

James3990

#53 Post by James3990 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:32 am

Time for an update:

Over the last few weeks, Ive been sorting out the wiring on this car. In theory I shouldn't have to do anything different because the car did start and run off the key before I stripped it down, however during the strip down phase and even the rebuild stages, I've found numerous damaged wires, redundant wires, burnt wires, unconnected wires etc so basically some serious headache & reliability issues further down the line if I just ignored this area of work. I'm sure these pictures below give you an idea :*laughs*:

Electrics and wiring aren't exactly the most exciting of things to read about, so Ive tried to get as many pictures as possible to show what Ive been doing with the engine & chassis harness (two separate circuits/systems).

First off was a purchase of tools/parts to carry out the jobs in hand:

Borrowed this from Monster Hunter which has been a great help, can't beat a hard copy booklet for wiring although slightly confused why H would have this in his possession given his understanding of electrical electronics :P :oops:

I've started on the easy side of the engine bay which is the drivers side (opposite end to the fuse box).

Connected up the power wiring to alternator along with the various sensors in this area, the voltage signal wire needed extending due to previous damage, so this was the first repair along the loom.

Tided up the earth points, added some trunking followed by some fresh insulation tape and this side of the engine bay was looking much better.

I then tided up the routing of the harness behind the engine and got it correctly bolted to the back of the inlet manifold. The person/people who re-shelled this car had attempted to label up some of the sensors which saved me some time, however whilst working on this part of the loom, I had noticed an incorrectly labeled up plug. Easy mistake with the sensors around this area on a T16 and I know ive had this confusion too in the past. The label refers to this plug being for the knock sensor, however it's actually for the temp sensor on the fuel rail.

Then onto the main side of the engine bay where all the major electrical systems are.

I wanted to start on the cooling fans, as I plan to run 2 x OEM units which I sourced a few months. The race cars only had a single fan back in the day but I know cooling can be an issue for these cars so I just wanted that extra airflow really as reassurance for the OEM RS radiator.

Thanks to help on the forum, Tom Pinney managed to help me locate the correct plugs for the OEM fans as Im completely remaking the loom for this system due to previous owner modifications - see page 1 for how this looked when I first brought the car.

I then checked these fans actually worked by connecting up a 12v car battery.

Video link - https://youtu.be/JUTQ6bPl9rU

Strangely enough the existing wiring for the old cooling fans had been wired back into the AC condenser relay in the control module :? I'm not sure if these ever worked but this didn't seem right to me, so I went about wiring the fans up to the correct cooling fan Relay 1 & 2.

I then came across this mess which I initially didn't have a clue what it was for.

I started tracing back the wires which lead me to the same AC condenser relay in the control module, then I had a light bulb moment.....Its the original manual override fan harness that was fitted to the racers to aid cooling when the engine/ECU is switched off or at a standstill (it has a direct power supply from battery).

Again this was rewired back into one of the cooling fan relay's, a new fuse folder & fuse added along with a rewire and suitably mounted in the engine bay.

And then finally some trunking added and fresh insulation tap along with the relocation of the coil pack.

Wiring is still not 100% finished in the engine bay, but I'm not prepared to completely finish tidying it up now until I know it all works when the engine is running.

Enough about wiring, a few other 'small jobs' Ive been doing are:

Had the false floor re-anodised red:

Geo_George kindly sent me the missing grill for the front bumper along with the clips 8)

Something not quite right with the dipstick that came on the car (pictured on the right), parts missing and also different length so replaced it with a 220 dipstick (pictured on the left).

And then my replacement 220 dipstick wouldn't go into the stainless holder, turned out there was a slight blockage inside the holder which looked to be from the manufacturing process so this needed drilling out/opening to allow full access for the dipstick to reach into the sump. This could be the reason why the other dipstick was damaged :S

All mounted up and secured.

Thanks for looking.
Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

N1tr0_9
Club Member

#54 Post by N1tr0_9 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:04 pm

Beautiful work. Thanks for taking the time to upload all this and the photos. And where did you find those callipers!

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#55 Post by GTiJohn » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:26 pm

Fascinating project and read.

Some of that old wiring looked scary :scared