1994 Rover 414Sli

Want to share photos and details of your projects? Then post them here.
Vulgalour
Club Member

Re: 1994 Rover 414Sli

#436 Post by Vulgalour » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:58 pm

Got the woodwork finished off today.

Image20180911-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Toddled over to the unit in my free time and noticed there were a handful of other small jobs I could do so got them done at the same time. Emptied out the boot, threw some rubbish away that was in there, and then got to grips with the remains of the old spare wheel clamp. It seems all of these are blue, regardless of the colour of the car.

Image20180911-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

To prevent it seizing and destroying the plastic wheel in the future, I applied lashings of copper grease.

Image20180911-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Now the spare wheel is secure. This isn't really necessary though, the spare wheel doesn't really move about.

Image20180911-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Then I just went around and refitted all the wooden trim. It used to look like this.

Image20150721-14 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Image20150721-12 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Now it looks like this.

Image20180911-05 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Image20180911-06 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Image20180911-07 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Took the roofrack off now I have the boot emptied out and reinstated the gutter trims that I had put off refitting because I wanted to paint the roof first. Getting the roof painted isn't now going to happen until next year so to reduce wind noise and make sure I don't damage the trims, they're safest fitted to the car. Went back on with minimal fuss.

Image20180911-08 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

All ready for the MoT tomorrow.
Current Fleet:
1980 Austin Princess 2 1700 HL
1994 Rover 414 SLi

lemix1924

#437 Post by lemix1924 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:55 am

Greetings from Athens, Greece! Would you be interested in a boot fllor cardboard, genuine new old stock? part number to confirm, EAS10016

Vulgalour
Club Member

#438 Post by Vulgalour » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:30 pm

Mine is fine so I'm okay for now, but thank you for taking the time to make a direct offer. If you haven't already, it may be worth putting a post in the Wanted/For Sale section on the forum.
Current Fleet:
1994 Rover 414 SLi

lemix1924

#439 Post by lemix1924 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:40 pm

Thank you, I will do. As I have more than 25000 lines of parts in stock, if I start posting separately for each one the forum will collapse I suppose! :tongue

Vulgalour
Club Member

#440 Post by Vulgalour » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:37 pm

You may be able to help me if I come unstuck looking for some parts I'll need to get soon. I'm hoping to get them locally, or at least in the UK, since postage Greece I expect won't be cheap on bulky/heavy items.

----

It is an PASS

Rear brakes work but aren't as good as they could be, excercise recommended for them.

Emissions a pass but it was a war getting there. Looks like the new catalytic converter I bought after I failed emissions last year isn't doing as good a job as it should, and is apparently a bit of a rubbish part anyway which I didn't know when I bought it.

Front shocks to replace. One front shock looks like it started to leak at, or on the way to, the MoT, which is a bit disappointing. Probably a result of the car being stood around doing nothing for so long.

Still, it's a pass. I'll take that. The jobs to do aren't massive and shouldn't be hideously expensive, they're just annoying.

In other news, since replacing the door seal and fitting the new interior wind noise is reduced, except for the new top seal/trim on the windscreen which seems to cause quite a bit more wind noise than the old knackered one. The seats were very comfortable for the 80 miles I did today. The 50mph dashboard buzz is gone, don't know why and I'm not complaining. Driver's door jingle is muted now, still there, but muted. Car is no longer an absolute dronefest at speeds above 60mph and 70mph can be done without the insistent drone which is a big improvement, though I've no idea what I've done to make that happen.
Current Fleet:
1994 Rover 414 SLi

crepello
Club Member

#441 Post by crepello » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:58 pm

Vulgalour wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:37 pm
In other news, since replacing the door seal and fitting the new interior wind noise is reduced, except for the new top seal/trim on the windscreen which seems to cause quite a bit more wind noise than the old knackered one.
Did your screen guy fit one of those standard rounded header strips which lips onto the top surface of the roof panel?
That was the case with me, and I noticed an increase of wind noise too. It also formed a dam preventing rainwater shedding forward onto the screen, everything having to flow down the side channels.

Vulgalour
Club Member

#442 Post by Vulgalour » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:49 pm

It's a square profile with a tiny even gap between it and the roof which is where I think the noise is coming from. It's not terrible, it's not even as bad as having the sunroof in tilt-open position, just noticeable with everything else sorted.
Current Fleet:
1994 Rover 414 SLi

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#443 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:55 pm

Looks like an excellent job on the wood trim. Good to know someone has done this and I might very well need to do this in the future.

Did you mention what type of varnish you used? Might be a useful starting point for people.

Looking on some forums, I bought Nitrocellulose in a can, and a tinted one at that, which was designed specifically to simulate aged varnish on original wooden dash panels and inlays. Didn't work - the grain on the Rover wood is so heavy, the nitrocellulose didn't actually cover properly. Years ago I remember varnishing a wooden lamp base with layer upon layer of varnish and sanding lightly in between. It looked absolutely fantastic and I guess that's the approach that should be taken.

Wonder what it would look like with a staining varnish, something with a red/cherry tint for example to give the wood a look of Mahogany. Mmmmm...

Like the carpet too. Pretty unique now. Pretty much a proper Rover Burgundy trim colour, which is nice. Now rip the seat coverings apart and sew in burgundy piping between the seat and bolsters... (only joking...)
Last edited by Johnny 216GSi on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

Vulgalour
Club Member

#444 Post by Vulgalour » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:23 pm

Half leather AND piping? DECADENCE.

The varnish I used is just Halford's acrylic lacquer. Not the heavy duty wheel stuff, just regular clear lacquer for paintwork. I've had success with it in the past on furniture that's sat in sunny spots and it hasn't done anything silly so it seemed a sensible choice for this. 6 coats, applied fairly heavily, with light sanding in between. I could have been much pickier about it and got a really shiny finish but as it is, with a little bit of uneveness, it makes the wood look more like wood and reduces glare from the dashtop trim which is what I prefer. Oh, and after sanding I gave things a light wipe over with white spirits which helps pull out the grain a bit and clean up. The only thing I couldn't really resolve was the few areas of bleaching, but a dye or stain would probably eliminate that.

I've found a pair of front shocks for a reasonable price but I'm still on the hunt for the correct catalytic converter to a standard that's actually going to work and not just be a metal box of nothing. Any tips on that welcome.
Current Fleet:
1994 Rover 414 SLi

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#445 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:36 pm

Vulgalour wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:23 pm
I've found a pair of front shocks for a reasonable price but I'm still on the hunt for the correct catalytic converter to a standard that's actually going to work and not just be a metal box of nothing. Any tips on that welcome.
Go for a more expensive type approved one? Bigger brick = better emissions, I assume. Brands names such as Walker (probably best), then Klarius and then perhaps Bosal. Also wonder if you could get something converted. In the same way that custom exhaust pipe work can be done, it just needs the correct standard mounting plates and some heavy duty piping welding in between. That's just a matter of finding something NOS or from a scrap yard that looks like it still works. Wonder if there's anyone out there that buys in standard cat bricks in casings and welds custom pipework to them for a fee?
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

Vulgalour
Club Member

#446 Post by Vulgalour » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:36 pm

I'm going to do more hunting, see if I can find something that's reputably good and the right one for the car. I don't really want to be chopping and changing flanges and stuff, might as well go custom stainless exhaust if I'm bothering to do that, which I can't imagine would be terribly expensive given how simple the system is. In better news, I found a brand new set of dampers for the front in Germany and they should be here by the end of the month. The car drives fine apart from road surfaces that are quite rough and then you can hear the leaking damper knocking away. It also has a tiny bit of wallow going around long corners. Nothing dangerous, but definitely something I want to fix sooner than later. Brakes feel a bit better, but they're still a bit grabby so I need to get in and look at the rear drums soon too, really hoping it doesn't give me more things to buy.

Great news on the front seats is that the longer you're in them, the more comfortable they get. It seems as they warm up a bit they go just a bit softer and they're just really nice to be in. My only complaint is that with the backs being a bit higher I find it a bit more awkward to do my usual dad reversing. The interior swap certainly feels like it was worth the effort now and best of all, the car still smells right. The way a car smells is fairly important to me, I'm not a fan of air fresheners and I really like the way the Rover smelled with the old interior. The new one smells ever so slightly like it might have been living with sweet air fresheners for a while, but not so much it overpowers the Rover smell, so I'm happy.

My very shortlist of jobs, while I think on since I want to note it down somewhere, is as follows:

- Find and replace catalytic converter with one that actually works decently
- Check rear brake drums and free off/replace whatever is stopping them working as well as they ought
- Fit new front dampers when they arrive
- Reseal cam carrier to cure minor oil weep
- Get a tyre on the spare alloy so it matches (currently have steel wheel with good tyre as a spare)
- Pay someone else to make the paint nice
- Fix/replace passenger headlight so the aim can be lifted

Huh. that's it. That's weird, my cars usually have much longer lists than that.
Current Fleet:
1994 Rover 414 SLi

ROVER-25X
Club Member

#447 Post by ROVER-25X » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:55 pm

The wood trim came up well buddy. :wink3
ROVER-25X (2001 1.4 ROVER 25)
ROVER Cabriolet (1997 1.6 K-Series)
ROVER 25XD (2004 2.0TD ROVER 25)
ASTRA TwinTop 1.9CDTi

Vulgalour
Club Member

#448 Post by Vulgalour » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:25 pm

Cheers, it's much nicer to look at while I'm pootling about. Got the new front shocks going on tomorrow. Sorted the rear brakes out by taking the outer drum off and putting it back on, seems the adjusters had just got stuck and they're find now. Got the headlight adjusters to start working properly too, they'd got a bit stuck. Still struggling to find the correct type approved catalytic converter but that's on hold anyway because now the Princess needs some new tyres after I found out the ones fitted are going a bit hard because according to the date codes they're 16 years old. S'funny, they look perfectly fine with loads of tread and no cracking anywhere, they're just way older than I thought they were.
Current Fleet:
1994 Rover 414 SLi