1994 Rover 414Sli

Want to share photos and details of your projects? Then post them here.
Vulgalour
Club Member

Re: 1994 Rover 414Sli

#391 Post by Vulgalour » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:37 pm

Had about 8" of snow here now over the last few days, even had a little thundersnow last night.
Image20180301-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Image20180301-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr
Current Fleet:
1980 Austin Princess 2 1700 HL
1994 Rover 414 SLi

ROVER-25X
Club Member

#392 Post by ROVER-25X » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:30 pm

You need to paint the pillars and roof white now. :laughing2
ROVER-25X (2001 1.4 ROVER 25)
ROVER Cabriolet (1997 1.6 K-Series)
ROVER 25XD (2004 2.0TD ROVER 25)
ASTRA TwinTop 1.9CDTi

Vulgalour
Club Member

#393 Post by Vulgalour » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:36 pm

But then it'll look like a jam sandwich.
Current Fleet:
1994 Rover 414 SLi

ROVER-25X
Club Member

#394 Post by ROVER-25X » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:09 pm

Or just a massive red go faster stripe, go thicker stripe ! :tt2
ASTRA TwinTop 1.9CDTi

Vulgalour
Club Member

#395 Post by Vulgalour » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:14 am

Everything has fallen into place rather neatly at the moment. The Princess is presently my daily driver, I'll be booking the MoT soon. The Rover is all lined up for a fresh interior and that rear arch to be repaired.

Next weekend I'll be off to collect the last few items I need to turn the saloon seat into a rear hatchback seat, which includes all the various latches and trim pieces that weren't fitted to the saloon. I'm looking forward to this, it should be a fun job. I've got some dye for the spare grey carpet so that will be going burgundy to fit with the toned-down factory look I want inside the car. The new seats and door cards are from a slightly higher trim level than the SLi, the SEi, so they have additional adjustment on the seats, better side bolsters, half-leather and a harder wearing cloth than the SLi velour. They're black at first glance, but the cloth sections have a subtle burgundy/purple/claret fleck in them that I'm hoping the redyed carpet will pick up to help it match in with the wood and orangey-red dash illumination. Subtle isn't perhaps what's expected given the outside, but it's what I want, and I don't want the interior to be a black hole. Doing the orange carpet in the Princess proved nicely to me that a black interior is fine providing the carpet isn't also black.

Now, fitting this interior could be done without taking the Rover off the road but I've decided that I'm actually going to do just that. I want to stagger the MoTs and the Princess is capable of being my daily at the moment so I'm going to take the risk and go down to just one car for a bit, allbeit it the one car I have with an attitude problem. This means I can strip out the Rover properly, do the minor modifications of trim etc. in the back for the rear seat, repair the rusty rear arch and refit everything all in one go. The Rover doesn't always play nice when you disconnect the battery so it's best to avoid doing it, this way I should only have to disconnect and reconnect once to get all this work done and when I'm finished it will leave me with a car that technically doesn't need anything else doing at all which puts me in the best place for an MoT. It also means if I do need to go as far as dropping the petrol tank for any reason, I'll have the luxury of time and space to do that. An added bonus will be not paying the small amount of tax I do for the Rover for a couple of months while I build up that staggered MoT gap I want.

Hopefully this plan doesn't end in disaster with me stranded at home with a broken Princess again.
Current Fleet:
1994 Rover 414 SLi

ROVER-25X
Club Member

#396 Post by ROVER-25X » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:16 pm

I would stagger them mate, good idea, March, June, Sep would be good, 3 month gaps and warm weather to do works on them.
ASTRA TwinTop 1.9CDTi

Vulgalour
Club Member

#397 Post by Vulgalour » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:47 pm

I have a cold, again, because of this sodding winter. That meant we had to cancel our plans for picking the Rover carcass for the few bits I need but it's okay, it turns out the weather would have cancelled it for us anyway.
Image20180317-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I don't feel too bad about being ill because of that, there's no way any of us wanted to do anything outdoors in that weather, even if well. Previously, I'd bought some more of the Simply Spray dye I used to refresh the Princess' carpet because I didn't want a dark grey carpet in the Rover. Instead, I wanted a dark red carpet. Now, I'm aware that dye usually has to go over a lighter colour and I was taking a risk by using a hue that was about in the same place as the old colour. There was a very good chance this wouldn't work, but there was realy only one way to find out. First coat always goes on alarmingly bright and certainly more purple than I fancied.
Image20180317-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Second and third coats mellowed out considerably and once dry it was exactly the colour I wanted. Looks a little brown here because of the odd lighting in that room.
Image20180317-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

The reason for this colour change is partly personal taste, but mostly to match the new interior that I'd picked up from fellow R8 club member, who has an absolutely spotless R8 Tourer in Nightfire Red (sadly too dark to get a photo when I visited to collect the interior). I do really like the interior already in my car, and it's in reasonable shape. The interior I wanted was either the one with red inserts that only seemed to come in the Cabriolet or the half leather with black chevron cloth. Happily, I got the latter in the form of all the seats and door cards. They are for a hatchback rather than a saloon, this is actually also what I wanted since I'm converting my saloon to folding rear seats using hatchback parts that pretty much bolt straight in since the body tubs are essentially the same.
Image20180317-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I wanted it to also look factory inside without being a factory option, so that's why the burgundy carpet. It picks up the colour fleck (burgundy, blue, and green) in the seats. It's really subtle and nobody would normally notice. Generally, if you can pick up a small detail like this and incorporate it into a personalised interior, it doesn't look personalised for some reason. Instead it ends up looking like a factory option. It also looks less cheap than if you had a plain black carpet with plain black seats. There's probably some sort of colour theory thing about this that explains just why it is.
Image20180317-05 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr
Current Fleet:
1994 Rover 414 SLi

27matt

#398 Post by 27matt » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:35 am

That carpet came out really well! I might have to try the same on the one in the Mini as I'm not particularly happy with with the colour.
Mini City E
216 Coupe
Rover 75 1.8T

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#399 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:20 pm

You are having fantastic success with that dye. As I mentioned before, I had rotten luck dying the car mats.

Now I think about it more, my experience has been coloured (pun intended) by the very thin and tight pile on the car mats. It wasn't really pile at all. Now I realise a carpet with a genuine pile would have dyed, seeing the results you're getting.

I really want to see the interior with the burgundy carpet in place. A bit of the plushest 800 series look can't miss...
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

Vulgalour
Club Member

#400 Post by Vulgalour » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:17 am

It surprised me, this one, I expected it to be quite dull given the base colour. Instead it turned out as it's labelled on the tin. I'm a total convert to it, brilliant stuff and a great way to save cash on sprucing up or customising an interior. I'll have to try it on some thicker, finer pile carpet at some point and see if the results vary. The carpet I've been using has been fairly forgiving. I'm in two minds about the boot trim because if I do that I have to do the back of the back seat to match it all. Something for another day that one I suppose.

Sunday, hopefully, we're going to get the last bits I need to fit the rear seat. We shall be at the mercy of the weather so here's hoping for a spring day rather than yet another winter day.
Current Fleet:
1994 Rover 414 SLi

ROVER-25X
Club Member

#401 Post by ROVER-25X » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:36 pm

You feeling any better you old goat ? :wink3
ASTRA TwinTop 1.9CDTi

Vulgalour
Club Member

#402 Post by Vulgalour » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:16 pm

Yes! And less of the old, please :P

Went on a little daytrip yesterday. Big thanks, once again, to Krujoe for being, well, Krujoe. If he were a stick of rock he'd have GOOD EGG written through him. The drive over highlighted on one particular section of B road that my suspension can make you seasick when the undulations are just so, it's the first time the improved suspension has really made me unhappy since doing it. Still, got us to the destination without drama other than that and being such a narrow car, even road-hogging SUVs and the like could be avoided on the narrow North Yorkshire lanes. When I got home I had a boot full of goodies and stuff.
Image20180325-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

One thing that did surprise me was how well the Rover acquitted itself clambering up into the slightly damp field. The route in is two slightly deeper grooves in the muddy grass with some strategic grip-giving rocks which was fine the last time I visited, but now we're sitting a little lower. Made it without a hitch, all the same. It was a lovely day for this sort of thing too, bright and clear and with a cool breeze. I barely did any work, Joe and Mike just got stuck in and bish-bash-bosh everything was out. I mostly just took some pretty pictures and pointed at what bits were needed.
Image20180325-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Image20180325-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Joe's camera is better than mine, he took some better pictures, and caught me putting my work boots on.
Image20180325-04Krujoe by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Image20180325-06Krujoe by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Image20180325-05Krujoe by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

It really is a super location and a beautiful part of the world. I was jolly tired because of the clocks going forward and being up, effectively, three hours earlier than usual. That meant we didn't stay as long as we might and even though I thought I'd be okay to drive back, Mike did have to take over while I had a nap in the passenger seat. One bonus of this was that Mike got to confirm that some of the niggles, and some of the things I really enjoy about the car, weren't my imagination. Overall, his impression of the car was much the same as mine that it's a very nicely put together thing now, that the gearbox isn't quite as good as it could be and that about 60-65mph is the sweet spot for higher speed driving with anything higher being a bit of a dronefest from combined engine and wind noises. Very, very strange being a passenger in my own car, but Mike is a good enough driver that I could relax once he'd got used to the very light clutch.

The scavenged parts then:
Image20180325-07 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

1 pair red rear seat back/parcel shelf supports
1 pair green rear seat back/parcel shelf supports (just in case I man bits up the red ones)
1 pair rear arch plastic trims - the saloon trim is narrower because saloon seats are wider
1 pair rear seat back locating pins - these are spotwelded with a bracket to the inner arch, we salvaged a large piece so it can be attached as per factory
4 captive nuts in plate - the plate is also on the saloon, but has no holes or captive nuts. This allows us to drill the relevant holes in the saloon so the seat back hinge can be bolted down.
BONUS - pair Kenwood speakers in good shape.

We did learn that underneath the captive nut plate there are fuel lines running. None of us especially wanted to drop the fuel tank on the spare car so Mike very skillfully sliced the section needed out without blowing us up. I won't be reusing the plate itself that we cut out, it's purpose is to be a template so I can save time figuring out just where to drill holes and fix nuts. The same is true of the inner arch mounted pegs. The base of the back seat is much easier as that lines up in the saloon without effort so there was no need to salvage any pieces from the hatchback body.

Actually converting the saloon body won't be that challenging. A couple of spotwelds and a couple of captive nuts are all I need to add. The large metal brackets need trimming down to lose the parcel shelf supporting bit, but the holes in the are identical to those in the braces already fitted to the saloon, so they're a bolt-in swap once the excess is trimmed off. The thing that might make the job a long one is dropping the petrol tank might be a necessity just to do it all safely so there are no lines or tank at risk of getting accidentally drilled through when sorting out the captive nuts for the seat hinges. Once this is all done, it should look perfectly factory, especially if I don't mess up trimming the red brackets which are an identical colour to the rest of the car.
Current Fleet:
1994 Rover 414 SLi

Vulgalour
Club Member

#403 Post by Vulgalour » Sat May 19, 2018 12:47 am

You're probably wondering what's happening in here. Nothing. That's what. Two reasons, the first being repairing the rot on the Princess' front wing and driver's door, a job that got rather more involved than intended. The other reason is that I wanted to stagger the MoT dates of the Rover and Princess, so it made sense to take it off the road for a little bit.

Minor annoyance with the Rover is that I forgot to regularly start and drive it over the last couple of months so the battery went flat, as batteries do when you've got things like alarms. I meant to get one of those trickle charge solar panels and completely forgot. End result is now the keyfob won't talk to the car, even when I tried hooking jump leads to another battery. So I took the battery off, stuck it on charge, and when I next get chance I'll plonk that back on the car and see if I can get the keyfob/immobiliser to behave again. It's my one bugbear with this car, really, since it's nice to have the security but not if it locks you out of using your own car. EKA code doesn't work on my car either, it just results in a single horn beep rather than turning the immobiliser off.

If I can get the keyfob to behave again I'll see about making a start on some interior work on the Rover over the weekend, I've got doors I can be stripping down to build a good set, after all, so I should really be doing that in readiness for welding once the new gas bottle arrives and I've finished repairing the Princess panels.
Current Fleet:
1994 Rover 414 SLi

Vulgalour
Club Member

#404 Post by Vulgalour » Sun May 20, 2018 6:05 pm

I've been rather distracted by the Princess and having that as my daily for a while so the Rover got somewhat neglected. As a result, it flattened its battery and then refused to talk to the keyfob when trying to jump start the car with said Princess. Took the battery off, recharged it and left the battery off the car for 24 hours. Today, after a bit of a dance of keyfob button pressing and manually locking/unlocking the doors it finally decided to play nice and talk to the keyfob again.

I then went for a bit of a blat around the yard because the brakes had stuck on a bit. Of course it's perfectly fine now and talking to the keyfob normally, I shall just have to remember to give it a little excercise a little more frequently so this doesn't happen again. It's looking rather sorry for itself too since the yard gets fairly dusty and you can see the rust creeping back on the door bottoms that I need to sort with the spares I acquired a while ago. I've almost finished the jobs I need to do on the Princess so once those are done I can get stuck in on this one. I'm rather uncomfortably aware of the time limits between now and moving house but I should be okay, nothing that I need to do is too difficult, it just needs me to have some indoor time and space to work through.

Nugget has been keeping the Rover company so it hasn't got lonely.
Current Fleet:
1994 Rover 414 SLi

Dmac1969
Club Member

#405 Post by Dmac1969 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:47 am

Loving this thread (which I’ve just read in a oner - well , there was nowt on the telly!). You must know every inch of that car now after all the work you’ve done to it! Keep up the good work!
1997 420 GSi 4 Door , Flame Red. R447 AOT