Use this board for any non-technical 200 or 400 related topic including motorsport, trivia, insurance matters etc.
Moderator: Forum Staff
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Club Member
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 2:17 pm
- Car Ownership: Rover 400 Mk2 (HHR) Saloon
- Location: Berwick upon Tweed
Anyone used this place? Quite like the idea of having my HHR 400 rustproofed and just wondered if anyone had been?
1997 420 GSi 4 Door , Flame Red. R447 AOT
- Johnny 216GSi
- Club Member
- Posts: 1936
- Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:17 pm
- Car Ownership: Rover 200 Mk2 (R8) Hatchback
- Location: Birmingham - the home of Rover!
Never been there or used them (though they are very local to me).
The only things I'd say are:
1. Their prices seem cheap enough - cheapest I've seen for a rustproofing service in fact.
2. Relating to point 1 - this is a temporary rust proofing - the videos clearly state it's an annual service. It's their own product (T40 as sold in a rattle can on their website) and if you watch the videos, it "stays liquid", so it's some kind of cross between an oil and a wax. Not a permanent coating.
Many of the other rust proofing services use Dinitrol, Wax oil or their own products and I'd say most of them stay on for longer than a year - Rust buster has a free 5 year "review" where they top up the underside coating if it's failed anywhere, for example.
The three main ones are:
1. Rust buster (Splading, Lincolnshire). They use their own waxes after a pre-clean with Chlor-X salt remover and steam. http://www.rust.co.uk/ They can also strip the underside of your car completely and paint it in Epoxy paint - but it costs about £1500 to do that.
2. Dinitrol treatment centres. They obviously use Dinitrol products with similar pre-treatment cleaning. https://www.dinitroldirect.com/dinitrol ... -provider/
3, JR Classics. They apply Wax Oil but also clean the underside in several ways first. www.jrclassics.co.uk
Thing is, it's something you can tackle yourself. Dinitrol treatment kits cost about £150 for a standard car - then it's just a matter of having access underneath the car on ramps or from an inspection pit.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey