Krown Rustproofing , Dudley.

Use this board for any non-technical 200 or 400 related topic including motorsport, trivia, insurance matters etc.
Dmac1969
Club Member

Krown Rustproofing , Dudley.

#1 Post by Dmac1969 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:39 pm

Anyone used this place? Quite like the idea of having my HHR 400 rustproofed and just wondered if anyone had been?
1997 420 GSi 4 Door , Flame Red. R447 AOT

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

Re: Krown Rustproofing , Dudley.

#2 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Wed May 16, 2018 11:16 pm

Dmac1969 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:39 pm
Anyone used this place? Quite like the idea of having my HHR 400 rustproofed and just wondered if anyone had been?
Never been there or used them (though they are very local to me).

The only things I'd say are:

1. Their prices seem cheap enough - cheapest I've seen for a rustproofing service in fact.
2. Relating to point 1 - this is a temporary rust proofing - the videos clearly state it's an annual service. It's their own product (T40 as sold in a rattle can on their website) and if you watch the videos, it "stays liquid", so it's some kind of cross between an oil and a wax. Not a permanent coating.

Many of the other rust proofing services use Dinitrol, Wax oil or their own products and I'd say most of them stay on for longer than a year - Rust buster has a free 5 year "review" where they top up the underside coating if it's failed anywhere, for example.

The three main ones are:

1. Rust buster (Splading, Lincolnshire). They use their own waxes after a pre-clean with Chlor-X salt remover and steam. http://www.rust.co.uk/ They can also strip the underside of your car completely and paint it in Epoxy paint - but it costs about £1500 to do that.
2. Dinitrol treatment centres. They obviously use Dinitrol products with similar pre-treatment cleaning. https://www.dinitroldirect.com/dinitrol ... -provider/
3, JR Classics. They apply Wax Oil but also clean the underside in several ways first. www.jrclassics.co.uk

Thing is, it's something you can tackle yourself. Dinitrol treatment kits cost about £150 for a standard car - then it's just a matter of having access underneath the car on ramps or from an inspection pit.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image