Head lining

Use this board for any non-technical 200 or 400 related topic including motorsport, trivia, insurance matters etc.

Moderator: Forum Staff

george@gmpy.co.uk
Club Member

Head lining

#1 Post by george@gmpy.co.uk » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:14 pm

Hi can eny one tell me the probable cost of fixing the head liner which is sagging over the passenger visor ,the liner is pristine just apache two foot by one ,not bad but annoying
George

RoverRevival
Club Member

Re: Head lineing

#2 Post by RoverRevival » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:24 pm

About 3hrs of your life over 2 days and a tin of fast contact spray glue.
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
Mercedes C270 diesel P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
For Sale:
45 1.8 auto Connie 50k SOLD
25 Streetwise 54k
620 SLI Honda 60k
& C3

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#3 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:18 pm

george@gmpy.co.uk wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:14 pm
Hi can eny one tell me the probable cost of fixing the head liner which is sagging over the passenger visor ,the liner is pristine just apache two foot by one ,not bad but annoying
George
You won't be able to fix your existing headliner with glue. The reason it's sagging is that the scrim foam on the back has completely perished (turned to orange dust). The brushed nylon itself is no thicker than a pair of sheer tights (I don't wear them myself... :laughing2 ). Any glue you put on the other side will just soak/push through in seconds. You could try a very high performance double sided tape like 3M's product "9088-200" (search for it on Ebay).

Other than that, you'll have to buy new light-grey headlining material which should be brushed nylon on one side and it will have a 3mm scrim foam bonded to the other side. Price can range from about £12 to £25 per metre, and you'll need 2 metres off a wide roll. Glue is about £10-£15 per can. Buy the high-temperature stuff rated 120 to 150 degrees C, as the roof of a car can get very hot in direct sunlight. You can probably do it in 2 cans - you need to spray in one direction on the headlining foam, and the opposite direction on the headlining shell. Wait for the glue to go tacky (it's pretty tacky even right after you've sprayed it), bring the two together and press and smooth all over, then trim.

Getting the shell out and back in does take a few hours - all the roof furniture has to come off (sun visors, grab handles), the rear strip, the rear quarter light internal trim, the B-post trim and A/B/C upper trim, the front seat belt top anchors (to get the A/B/C upper trim off), the inner rubber door seals, sunroof trim, interior light, etc. If you've a hatchback, the shell ejects from the boot easily with the rear seat down and parcel shelf removed. If it's a 4-door then ideally the back seat needs to be taken out, although a "botch" is to force the shell out through one of the rear passenger doors. It doesn't actually fit through the rear door without bending and scraping it everywhere, but people seem to want the quickest/nastiest solution so that's what most people do.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

george@gmpy.co.uk
Club Member

Re: Head lining

#4 Post by george@gmpy.co.uk » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:41 pm

Thanks for such a detailed reply,,thinkit beyond my ability I'll talk to a a car interior company,sounds a expensive experience ..
Thanks

redandwhitE
Club Member

#5 Post by redandwhitE » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:38 am

Johnny 216 Gsi: From your attention to detail and consideration to finish and appearance, it's clear you'd be a stockings man and not tights!
1995 416 SLi (BRG) - OTR
1998 VW Polo 1.9D CL (purple) - FOR SALE
2004 45 Imp Diesel (silver) - OTR
2004 45 Club SE (nightfire) - not OTR
1993 416 GSi (BRG) - not OTR
1972 Mercedes 350 SL (red) - not OTR
1998 Audi Cabriolet (maroon) - not OTR

961tat
Club Member

#6 Post by 961tat » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:47 am

Johnny 216GSi wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:18 pm
george@gmpy.co.uk wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:14 pm
George
You won't be able to fix your existing headliner with glue. The reason it's sagging is that the scrim foam on the back has completely perished (turned to orange dust). The brushed nylon itself is no thicker than a pair of sheer tights (I don't wear them myself... :laughing2 ). Any glue you put on the other side will just soak/push through in seconds. You could try a very high performance double sided tape like 3M's product "9088-200" (search for it on Ebay).

Other than that, you'll have to buy new light-grey headlining material which should be brushed nylon on one side and it will have a 3mm scrim foam bonded to the other side. Price can range from about £12 to £25 per metre, and you'll need 2 metres off a wide roll. Glue is about £10-£15 per can. Buy the high-temperature stuff rated 120 to 150 degrees C, as the roof of a car can get very hot in direct sunlight. You can probably do it in 2 cans - you need to spray in one direction on the headlining foam, and the opposite direction on the headlining shell. Wait for the glue to go tacky (it's pretty tacky even right after you've sprayed it), bring the two together and press and smooth all over, then trim.

Getting the shell out and back in does take a few hours - all the roof furniture has to come off (sun visors, grab handles), the rear strip, the rear quarter light internal trim, the B-post trim and A/B/C upper trim, the front seat belt top anchors (to get the A/B/C upper trim off), the inner rubber door seals, sunroof trim, interior light, etc. If you've a hatchback, the shell ejects from the boot easily with the rear seat down and parcel shelf removed. If it's a 4-door then ideally the back seat needs to be taken out, although a "botch" is to force the shell out through one of the rear passenger doors. It doesn't actually fit through the rear door without bending and scraping it everywhere, but people seem to want the quickest/nastiest solution so that's what most people do.
Happy day at the NEC :tt2

RoverRevival
Club Member

#7 Post by RoverRevival » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:36 pm

I have a spare good condition 4dr headlining if anyone needs it?
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
Mercedes C270 diesel P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
For Sale:
45 1.8 auto Connie 50k SOLD
25 Streetwise 54k
620 SLI Honda 60k
& C3

george@gmpy.co.uk
Club Member

#8 Post by george@gmpy.co.uk » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:17 pm

Hi Guys
OK grasped the nettle,picked her up last week, absolutely lovely job, a eye watering £400 but a really beautiful job,recommend MJ uphosters Bedford,
When I first went to see him he was doing a Austin Ruby inside and out wonderful job l was instantly sold.

Vinny1979

#9 Post by Vinny1979 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:55 am

:scared
1993 Rover 220 GSi Turbo , 2005 MG ZS 180 mk2

carfixmobile
Club Member

#10 Post by carfixmobile » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:07 pm

I am having a go myself. Taking the headlining out was a relatively simple job (5 door hatch makes it easier).

As been mentioned above the foam under the headlining has turned to an orange "dust". Scraping it off the headlining shell is messy.

I have made contact with a company called "Woolies". They have a catalogue as well as a website. They do a fantastic array of parts for trim and upholstery for cars. This includes a range of foam backed nylon headlining material and the high heat resistant spray adhesive.

I have not ordered anything yet but will report back when I do.

crepello
Club Member

#11 Post by crepello » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:30 pm

Woolies are the go-to source for this sort of thing. I did mine with material from them.
You can order with confidence!