T4 Diagnostic UK map

Use this board for any non-technical 200 or 400 related topic including motorsport, trivia, insurance matters etc.

Moderator: Forum Staff

Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer
Posts: 2744
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:17 pm
Location: Birmingham - the home of Rover!

T4 Diagnostic UK map

#1 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:52 pm

This has probably been posted before, but the folks over the on 75 Owner's Club website have compiled and continue to maintain a T4 Testbook map, basically locations in the UK (former dealers, MG Rover support companies, enthusiasts, etc.) that have in their possession a Rover T4 Test Book (electronic diagnostic and engine set-up/calibration tool) should your car need any of the procedures that involve its use.

I know there are several OBD readers and key fob programmers out there - even these days MEMS to USB leads that plug directly into Android phones if your phone supports OTG (and last count at least 3 Android diagnostic apps). Test Book was in addition about set-up and calibration procedures relating to servicing and a broader range of diagnostic procedures that, although based on sensor readings (that other tools will display for you), involved adjustments to the engine and its ancillaries until there was a pass/fail outcome, with a wider diagnosis of misbehaving components.

Just worth bearing in mind in case there's a car out there with a fault that cannot be found. Just ask and find out how far your chosen T4-equipped dealer is prepared to go with the testing and what they can do for you:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 359583&z=7

Noticed Rover Revival is missing from the list.... Dist - you need to do something!
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

User avatar
GTiJohn
Club Chairman
Posts: 4984
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:01 pm
Location: Midlands
Contact:

Re: T4 Diagnostic UK map

#2 Post by GTiJohn » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:58 pm

That's brilliant :clapping

But Craig's not on it.... Yet :wink3
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

User avatar
RoverRevival
Club Member
Posts: 6952
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:08 pm
Location: RoverRevival, Manchester
Contact:

Re: T4 Diagnostic UK map

#3 Post by RoverRevival » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:01 am

Anyone want to message them on my behalf or send me a link of where I need to go.
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
Mercedes C270 diesel P80CJM
For Sale:
75 1.8 auto Connie 70k copperleaf
25 Streetwise 54k
25 IL 36k
216 ronda coupe
620 SLI Honda 60k
& C3

User avatar
Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer
Posts: 2744
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:17 pm
Location: Birmingham - the home of Rover!

Re: T4 Diagnostic UK map

#4 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:03 pm

RoverRevival wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:01 am
Anyone want to message them on my behalf or send me a link of where I need to go.
Here's the thread on the 75/ZT owner's club website that discusses the map:

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/show ... p?t=287276

I expect it's a matter of identifying who posted the map link on the thread (user "stevestrat" - first post on the thread?) and PM-ing them through the website. Can't imagine you're not a member already... :laughing2
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

User avatar
RoverRevival
Club Member
Posts: 6952
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:08 pm
Location: RoverRevival, Manchester
Contact:

Re: T4 Diagnostic UK map

#5 Post by RoverRevival » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:21 pm

Yep I’m a member (all be it not a paid member).
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
Mercedes C270 diesel P80CJM
For Sale:
75 1.8 auto Connie 70k copperleaf
25 Streetwise 54k
25 IL 36k
216 ronda coupe
620 SLI Honda 60k
& C3

User avatar
RoverRevival
Club Member
Posts: 6952
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:08 pm
Location: RoverRevival, Manchester
Contact:

Re: T4 Diagnostic UK map

#6 Post by RoverRevival » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:46 pm

:blink ok


They deleted my message, even after someone thanked it.

Maybe because I mentioned I had the dreaded Pscan as well.

Ah well, their loss.
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
Mercedes C270 diesel P80CJM
For Sale:
75 1.8 auto Connie 70k copperleaf
25 Streetwise 54k
25 IL 36k
216 ronda coupe
620 SLI Honda 60k
& C3

User avatar
Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer
Posts: 2744
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:17 pm
Location: Birmingham - the home of Rover!

Re: T4 Diagnostic UK map

#7 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:56 pm

RoverRevival wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:46 pm
:blink ok


They deleted my message, even after someone thanked it.

Maybe because I mentioned I had the dreaded Pscan as well.

Ah well, their loss.
At least we all know where it is... :)
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

User avatar
Russnp
Club Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:54 pm
Location: North Norfolk

Re: T4 Diagnostic UK map

#8 Post by Russnp » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:29 pm

Can T4 program the Lucas key fobs?
98 Rover Coupe VVC
99 MGF VVC
03 ZT 135
03 ZR 115 TD
15 MG3 , partners car

Off the road at present

Maestro van , British Rail
Maestro EFi - in body shop
Metro Turbo

User avatar
RoverRevival
Club Member
Posts: 6952
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:08 pm
Location: RoverRevival, Manchester
Contact:

Re: T4 Diagnostic UK map

#9 Post by RoverRevival » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:39 pm

My Pscan can do that.
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
Mercedes C270 diesel P80CJM
For Sale:
75 1.8 auto Connie 70k copperleaf
25 Streetwise 54k
25 IL 36k
216 ronda coupe
620 SLI Honda 60k
& C3

User avatar
Russnp
Club Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:54 pm
Location: North Norfolk

Re: T4 Diagnostic UK map

#10 Post by Russnp » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:00 pm

I spoke to a mate of mine who has T4 and he says he can do our fobs.
How easy and expensive is it to get the T4 gear? Many years ago all the stuff for setting up maestro EFis , fast check , was rare but I managed to get the lot off Ebay cheap
98 Rover Coupe VVC
99 MGF VVC
03 ZT 135
03 ZR 115 TD
15 MG3 , partners car

Off the road at present

Maestro van , British Rail
Maestro EFi - in body shop
Metro Turbo

User avatar
Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer
Posts: 2744
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:17 pm
Location: Birmingham - the home of Rover!

Re: T4 Diagnostic UK map

#11 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:41 pm

Russnp wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:00 pm
I spoke to a mate of mine who has T4 and he says he can do our fobs.
How easy and expensive is it to get the T4 gear? Many years ago all the stuff for setting up maestro EFis , fast check , was rare but I managed to get the lot off Ebay cheap
T4 systems are offered out for sale occasionally for anything between £400-£500 and as much as £1500 on the likes of Ebay - all ex dealership machines. The original system was a floor standing unit with drawers for manuals, leads/adaptors and the car interface unit, with a laptop sitting at the top. You're more likely to find bundles that don't come with the trolley for less money. I think one concern would be the software being locked to the laptop and therefore the longevity of the laptop, but I guess it might be possible to experiment with disk cloning at least to get a full system backup and preserve your investment. If the laptop actually dies, I'm not sure if a cloned system disk could be put into a newer laptop and everything would work - the nature of the licensing/license key might depend on the system ID and might never work on different hardware, Plus you've got an OS configured for a different machine, so I don't know how difficult it'd be to get the restored image to actually boot alternative hardware and behave with fully functionality. Maybe the T4 laptop has a "special" interface installed in it??

PScan will do key fob programming and MEMS sensor value and fault code reading, and there are other popular hand-held tools that do the same, like the T100+. These days you can even get leads that connect from MEMS to an OTG-enabled mini-USB socket on an Android phone - and there are 2 or 3 apps in the app store that purport to read sensor values and fault codes - but they won't program keys as far as I know. I think the difference is T4 had "set-up procedures" for the car so you made adjustments and T4 gave you a pass/fail at each stage. It was geared up for fault diagnosis, extended fault diagnosis of the engine and ancillaries, and engine and ancillary set-up/calibration. Hence the thick manuals and the reading/learning/training required.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

Roverlike
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:12 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: T4 Diagnostic UK map

#12 Post by Roverlike » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:02 am

RoverRevival wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:46 pm
:blink ok


They deleted my message, even after someone thanked it.

Maybe because I mentioned I had the dreaded Pscan as well.

Ah well, their loss.
It is not the Pscan that bothers them, but TOAF which is free of charge. I do not know what kind of post you made, but I think that all T4 owners there are traders and they charge for a session and pay to the site to be in trader status. If you offered free session or you said you are charging for session but you are not paid trader on their site, either way your post will be deleted.

This is actually shame, as there is no information on one place where you could see all T4s available. But, that is their policy ...

Roverlike
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:12 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: T4 Diagnostic UK map

#13 Post by Roverlike » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:10 am

Johnny 216GSi wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:41 pm
Russnp wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:00 pm
I spoke to a mate of mine who has T4 and he says he can do our fobs.
How easy and expensive is it to get the T4 gear? Many years ago all the stuff for setting up maestro EFis , fast check , was rare but I managed to get the lot off Ebay cheap
T4 systems are offered out for sale occasionally for anything between £400-£500 and as much as £1500 on the likes of Ebay - all ex dealership machines. The original system was a floor standing unit with drawers for manuals, leads/adaptors and the car interface unit, with a laptop sitting at the top. You're more likely to find bundles that don't come with the trolley for less money. I think one concern would be the software being locked to the laptop and therefore the longevity of the laptop, but I guess it might be possible to experiment with disk cloning at least to get a full system backup and preserve your investment. If the laptop actually dies, I'm not sure if a cloned system disk could be put into a newer laptop and everything would work - the nature of the licensing/license key might depend on the system ID and might never work on different hardware, Plus you've got an OS configured for a different machine, so I don't know how difficult it'd be to get the restored image to actually boot alternative hardware and behave with fully functionality. Maybe the T4 laptop has a "special" interface installed in it??

PScan will do key fob programming and MEMS sensor value and fault code reading, and there are other popular hand-held tools that do the same, like the T100+. These days you can even get leads that connect from MEMS to an OTG-enabled mini-USB socket on an Android phone - and there are 2 or 3 apps in the app store that purport to read sensor values and fault codes - but they won't program keys as far as I know. I think the difference is T4 had "set-up procedures" for the car so you made adjustments and T4 gave you a pass/fail at each stage. It was geared up for fault diagnosis, extended fault diagnosis of the engine and ancillaries, and engine and ancillary set-up/calibration. Hence the thick manuals and the reading/learning/training required.
Pscan is actually T4 in development. Point is Pscan can do some things T4 cannot, as Philips overcomes some of the T4 limitations. At present Pscan still didi not implement all features that T4 can, but, for example regarding MGF/TF cars it is the best tool you can get, ahead of T4. Why, because Philip got support from MGF/TF community and they provided him all the means for testing and info what is needed for that community, so he did that.
If Rover 200/400 community would provide the same he would be able to do the same for this community as well. He is expanding possibilities for pscan as demand on the market is. He can no only program 5AS fobs, but Pektron fobs as well, and he can talk to other modules as well.
I do not have any connection with Philip, although I would be glad to offer him help if am not that so far away. I do have Pscan and will promote things I find usefull to community if it can be of help tompreserve MGRovers on the road.

User avatar
RoverRevival
Club Member
Posts: 6952
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:08 pm
Location: RoverRevival, Manchester
Contact:

Re: T4 Diagnostic UK map

#14 Post by RoverRevival » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:42 am

I never mentioned anything about pricing I just said I own RoverRevival and have both t4 and Pscan amongst others.

As the 200oc will confirm, I’m happy to pay when there’s a return. Surely better to just send me a pm saying this is only for paid members than just delete the post.

As above, their loss!



Side note, if Phil needs anything I can help with he is welcome to it.
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
Mercedes C270 diesel P80CJM
For Sale:
75 1.8 auto Connie 70k copperleaf
25 Streetwise 54k
25 IL 36k
216 ronda coupe
620 SLI Honda 60k
& C3

Post Reply