What's it worth (sorry)

Use this board for any non-technical 200 or 400 related topic including motorsport, trivia, insurance matters etc.

Moderator: Forum Staff

Vulgalour
Club Member

What's it worth (sorry)

#1 Post by Vulgalour » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:18 am

This is one of THOSE threads, so apologies in advance. We're talking about the car on the left here.

After just over three years of ownership I'm getting the itch and considering moving my 414 on. From memory it's had these things, there's probably more stuff I've forgotten:
front discs and pads
clutch
windscreen
struts
springs
every rear suspension bushing
rear arch repair
inner sill repair
inlet manifold gasket
key fob
head gasket
timing belt
water pump
radiator
half-leather interior including folding rear seat, all fully functional (possibly unique for a 400)

It will come with the original steels, early wheel trims (to go with the un-facelifted front end), and original springs if you wanted to revert to a more standard look. It still sports the original radio-cassette deck which works fine. A splosh of red paint and it's pretty much factory again for minimal effort.

I know I've spent much more than the car is worth. I also know it's daft considering moving it on now it is sorted and only wanting cosmetic tittivation to things like the roof paint and some car park dings that the car had when I got it. If nothing else, finding out how little this car is worth will be the likely motivation for keeping it. I'm realistic, I doubt a personalised 414 is going to be getting out of the few hundred quid category and selling it is likely to bring about a litany of knuckle dragging mouth breathers seeking the moon on a stick. You know, the Gumtree sorts. Costs nothing to ask though, right?

So, what's it worth?
Current Fleet:
1980 Austin Princess 2 1700 HL
1994 Rover 414 SLi

1234dist
Club Member

Re: What's it worth (sorry)

#2 Post by 1234dist » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:05 am

My usual answer to these is 0.99p and 7 days.

Being honest, most of the work done is only maintenance so doesn’t really affect the value.

I’d be surprised if it went over £500 but that is why I usually say let eBay tell you how much.

Depends on if you are in a hurry or can sit and wait for the right person.
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
Mercedes C270 diesel P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP

Paul_1978_yorks
Club Member

#3 Post by Paul_1978_yorks » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:09 am

I’d say about £400. It’s a well looked after car but I think people may prefer originality, ie colour coded or grey bottom and standard wheels :)
Club Social Media Sec. (Twitter/Instagram)
Current:
1996-N Nightfire 420 GSi Tourer (on the road)
1996-N Charcoal 214 SEi (off the road)
2005 Volvo V50 1.8 Sport (daily)
Former:
214 SEi x3
216 SLi
216 Cabriolet
416 GSi
25/45/75

Mr Teddy Bear
Club Member

#4 Post by Mr Teddy Bear » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:52 pm

There is a limited market only for these cars and that's in factory guise, plus it's the wrong time of year!
Teddy Bear

216 Sli SRS Charcoal Met 1996

216 GTi Flame Red 1992

414Si British Racing Green 1995

216GTi TC Ocean Blue 1993

Vulgalour
Club Member

#5 Post by Vulgalour » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:14 pm

I'm not in a rush and I agree, the eBay answer is the most accurate. It's a terrible time of year to sell and I can afford to wait, so I will. I'm only going to sell if one of the two vehicles I've picked out as the replacement come along and that's going to take a while too, because I'm being incredibly picky on that score. I'm not about to dump a really good car and replace it with another problem child. This is more trying to figure out what I've got sat in the Rover financially and to see what options I might have.

Replacement candidate can only be a petrol Citroen BX (diesel is ill suited to my driving), or a 2ltr Austin Ambassador, must be a manual in either case.

I've had a BX estate. It was great, I really loved it, and I really miss it. Sadly, it was too far gone for me to sort out when I had it so it had to go. I've always wanted another BX and the estate was so bad it taught me where all the problem areas are and what to look for on another. It's also one of the most comfortable cars I've ever driven, both ride and seating position.

The Ambassador, on the other hand, is entirely the fault of the Princess. It wants to be the 2ltr because it's just that little bit better on the power:weight ratio. Basically, it's like a Princess but more practical which would be better suited for an every day car. It's also a car I know very well through my ownership of the Princess so again, I know what problems to look out for and what to avoid.

There's nothing else at all that I want to own. For now the Rover stays and will continue to stay until such a time as someone either offers me cash or a replacement turns up that's too good to pass up on. I'm not in a rush, just figuring out my options.
Current Fleet:
1994 Rover 414 SLi

Mr Teddy Bear
Club Member

#6 Post by Mr Teddy Bear » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:20 pm

There is a guy on Piston Heads who is very much into Citroen BX's, I remember reading a rebuild/light restoration thread from a couple of years ago.
Teddy Bear

216 Sli SRS Charcoal Met 1996

216 GTi Flame Red 1992

414Si British Racing Green 1995

216GTi TC Ocean Blue 1993

Vulgalour
Club Member

#7 Post by Vulgalour » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:59 pm

I reckon we'll be stuck together for a little while longer yet, so don't worry. Not been a lot to report on the Rover really, about the most exciting thing I've done recently is fit the bit of trim that goes between the door and the rear seat on one side. I'll keep tinkering with it and improving it, as you do, it's a good car.

I've made similar posts on other forums, spoken to friends, etc. Nobody has recoiled in horror at the replacements considered (mind you, I have a reputation, so they're probably surprised I picked something they've actually heard of). Been a couple of grumbles that I'd be daft parting with the Rover, which I agree with, and is a big reason for not being in a rush.

We'll see what happens. It's worth a bit more than it was when I got it which is something, and it's unlikely to be eating vast amounts of money from this point forwards so it can stick around as back-up for when the Princess is having an off day. I reckon I'm just going to use the Princess more regularly and see how I feel again next year. I reckon if I go for a month or two without even using the Rover that will be the indication it needs to be moved on. If I use it more regularly than that, out of necessity or desire, then it should probably stick around.
Current Fleet:
1994 Rover 414 SLi

redandwhitE

#8 Post by redandwhitE » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:23 am

Enjoyed reading about the updates and changes to your car so thanks for that.

I know from cars I've had in the past, when you first get a particular one its great to have it. After a while when you've done the outstanding maintenance, made mechanical and cosmetic improvements and then the thing just runs reliably without fuss....they seem to become boring! Six months after you sell one, you want it back!

About six years ago I bought a beautiful 'H' reg VWJetta which had been well cared for. Twelve months later, I started a small business and needed something practical (citroen C5 estate) and the missus made me sell the Volkswagen.....regretted it ever since. Especially when I took the Citroen to my local garage for MOT and they said how good the VW was....quickly followed by how they'd seen it going around a roundabout on the rev limiter!!!

Keep the Rover!
1995 416 SLi (Ostensibly BRG) - on the road
2000 Citroen Xantia Estate (silver) - on the road
2006 Ford Transit (white, what else) - on the road
1972 Mercedes 350 SL (red) - not on the road
1998 Audi Cabriolet (maroon) - not on the road

Vulgalour
Club Member

#9 Post by Vulgalour » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:44 pm

25th of November is the starting date for an experiment. Given how little the Rover is actually worth and how much of a ballache it's going to be to sell, I have to be sure that it's the right decision if it does come to that. Also, if I'm going to rely on the Princess as my only car then it needs to prove itself.

The challenge is to use the Princess as my only car for six months from the 25th of November. If during that six months I want or need to use the Rover, it gets to stay. If don't have any need or desire to get in the Rover, I'll move it on. The only exception to this six month rule is general care of the Rover, moving it and starting it to make sure brakes aren't stuck on, and the battery doesn't go flat, that sort of thing.

The challenge isn't so far fetched really. I've used the Princess as my only car in the past and it's coped admirably with it. Except for those times when it hasn't and I've needed another car. The last time I did this, though, the Princess wasn't in the good health it is now and I was still working my way through bodge and neglect, so we shall have to see.

So far, so good on the daily usage, all the same. I will concede that the Rover is less work when it's a damp day, but this is more down to the difference between fuel injection and electronic ignition on the Rover, where the Princess is still points, condenser, and carb. We're still in the honeymoon period of the experiment so we'll see how I feel on Christmas Day, when we'll be at the one-month point and getting into some horrible weather too, no doubt.
Current Fleet:
1994 Rover 414 SLi

Vulgalour
Club Member

#10 Post by Vulgalour » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:17 pm

For the first time since starting the experiment I took the Rover out today on a maintenance scamper. I want to make sure the battery and brakes stay in reasonable shape and needed to put some fuel in since it was on fumes. I was surprised that I didn't actually enjoy it. For the first time in my ownership it just wasn't fun.

This is what the experiment with the Princess is for, really, it gives me some objectivity. This was unexpected though, I thought getting back in it even for a practical reason like this, would be an entertaining diversion and it just wasn't. I felt incredibly vulnerable, particularly with other road users pulling out on me (a common occurence in the Rover), and the assistance of the controls made them feel too light and numb. I don't really know how I feel about this car now. Up until this point it's been a very enjoyable machine to own and live with and I had got myself to a point over the last couple of weeks where I thought I was going to keep it to save it from a future owner spoiling it and not appreciating the work that's gone into making it the best it can be.

Now I'm conflicted.

It's a very well sorted car, and it's very good at its job, but I really don't enjoy it. Perhaps my time with it is at an end now, perhaps it really is time to move on to something else instead. We shall have to see what the rest of the experiment has to hold I suppose, we're only at the start of Week 4, after all, with just over five months to go before I make a final decision. Perhaps I'll change my mind again later.
Current Fleet:
1994 Rover 414 SLi

Paul_1978_yorks
Club Member

#11 Post by Paul_1978_yorks » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:03 am

You’ll sell it and you’ll miss it. You might not miss that exact car, but you’ll be hankering after another R8 before long I can guarantee it. I’ve done it myself many times!
Club Social Media Sec. (Twitter/Instagram)
Current:
1996-N Nightfire 420 GSi Tourer (on the road)
1996-N Charcoal 214 SEi (off the road)
2005 Volvo V50 1.8 Sport (daily)
Former:
214 SEi x3
216 SLi
216 Cabriolet
416 GSi
25/45/75

Vulgalour
Club Member

#12 Post by Vulgalour » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:36 am

I probably would. I still regret being forced to sell my Mk2 Polo and while opportunities have come along over the years to buy another Mk2 Polo, it wouldn't be *my* Mk2 Polo, if that makes any sense. I know if I sell the Rover I'll have the same problem, it's too much mine, and any other R8 just won't be the same. Which is daft really because I could easily recreate what I've done exactly to another R8.

In some ways, the experiment is as important for me to work out my relationship with the Rover as it is to figure out whether or not having the Princess as my only car is a sensible idea (it's not).

The other trouble is there's so many other cars I want to experience and own and to do so, one of my current cars has to make way for it. The Princess is not the car that's going to move on, there's something about it that I could never, ever replace and it goes beyond its financial worth, which is somewhat more now than it was when I bought the car. So that means the Rover is the one that would have to go, but I wonder if that's a decision that I'm not ready to make yet. What I've gone and done is get myself emotionally invested in a machine, and that's a very silly thing to do.
Current Fleet:
1994 Rover 414 SLi

Julesmat50
Club Member

#13 Post by Julesmat50 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:34 am

Vulgalour wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:36 am
What I've gone and done is get myself emotionally invested in a machine, and that's a very silly thing to do.
It's something we all do and probably just as well, else a lot of older cars would never be saved. :laughing2
Current 418GSD Turbo - Flame Red
Previous M237JWP 418SLD Turbo - Nightfire Metallic RIP

ROVER-25X

#14 Post by ROVER-25X » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:40 pm

Throw it on ebay for a 10 day auction for 99p starting on a Thursday at 19:30, (ends on a Sunday at 19:30, best time).

It is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it on the day, if you are not happy with the price it is at with 2 mins
to go then just end it and keep it or relist in May.
The 25X (2001 ROVER 25 1.4 Impression S, fate TBD)
The CX8 (1997 ROVER Cabriolet 1.6 K-Series, Resto Project)
The 25XD (2004 ROVER 25 2.0TD, Track Car ?)
The Parts Bin (2001 ROVER 25 1.6 S)
The ASTRA-DX (2012 VAUXHALL ASTRA 1.7CDTi, Daily Eco Driver)

1234dist
Club Member

#15 Post by 1234dist » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:52 pm

ebay knows that happens now and won't let you end with either 12 or 24hrs to go, can't remember which.
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
220 GTI M-series J777RAL
Mercedes C270 diesel P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP