Lost the only key to my glove box, help please.

Use this board for any non-technical 200 or 400 related topic including motorsport, trivia, insurance matters etc.

Moderator: Forum Staff

Robsee
Club Member

Lost the only key to my glove box, help please.

#1 Post by Robsee » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:59 pm

The adapter nut for the wheel locking nuts is locked in there! Obviously, I have now learned it is was a bad idea to keep it there only having one key... duh! Could do with a couple of new tyres for the MOT and to stay lawful.

I have tried wrigling around several small sized screwdrivers and an extended paper clip whilst turning the lock but to no avail. There is a gap to get a screwdriver between the box cover and the dashboard but obviously don't particularly want to break the lock/box.

Will it be possible to get a replacement key and if so how so and does anyone have any ideas on to how to get it open in the meantime without damaging anything?

Any help appreciated, thank you.
1998 (R) | 216 Cabby (R8)| K Series (16K4FL) Petrol Engine | 5 Speed Manual Gearbox | Colour: Nightfire2

RoverRevival
Club Member

Re: Lost the only key to my glove box, help please.

#2 Post by RoverRevival » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:32 pm

2x 8mm bolts hold the bottom of the glove box on.

Might get you the access you require.
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
Mercedes C270 diesel P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
For Sale:
75 1.8 auto Connie 70k copperleaf
25 Streetwise 54k
620 SLI Honda 60k
& C3

Robsee
Club Member

#3 Post by Robsee » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:25 pm

Thanks RR, got the bolts out but still can't get in from the bottom. It won't budge. Not knowing how it is configured does not help. There is probably a way to agreesivly twist to release the hook without breaking anything.

Will perhaps have to take into the garage I use for servicing or telephone around some local mobile mechanics to see if they can help.
1998 (R) | 216 Cabby (R8)| K Series (16K4FL) Petrol Engine | 5 Speed Manual Gearbox | Colour: Nightfire2

Johnny 216GSi
Club Treasurer

#4 Post by Johnny 216GSi » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:50 pm

The whole pivot rail for the glove box is held on to the dash and the metal frame behind it using 3 bolts that are either side of the lower edge of the glove box door. These remove the entire glove box including the slow-open air damper as one unit including the pressed metal bottom rail. I know I can get access with the glove box open (you can see the bolt heads) but I'm not sure with the box closed. You can probably just about see them with your head upside down in the passenger footwell looking up - think you'd need a torch. Not sure if you could get a spanner in there or they're effectively closed off by the door being shut. If you can see the threaded ends coming through the metal frame on both sides, maybe you could try and grip them and undo them from the back.

Unfortunately the lock is just about as secure as the door locks - it's essentially an identical tumbler and barrel, so high security and you won't open it with a paperclip! It needs the proper key that replicates every lever level inside. If the barrel is very worn, you might be able to jiggle the lock open with another Rover key - if you've got a mate or two with the same keys, you could try a few - but I doubt this is going to work as I don't think the barrel will be sufficiently worn...

You could try and drill through the centre of the lock, then buy another lock and key set - someone on Ebay has them (original Valeo units) for £14.49 and they come with 2 keys - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-200-40 ... 2042909996. Never drilled a lock before, and I'm not sure just putting a drill bit down the centre will actually do anything... you'd need to practically destroy the tumbler (without drilling through the back of the glove box cover) so you can just turn what's left with a flat-blade screwdriver. Or you could call a locksmith I suppose, if only for some advice!

Think you can remove the lock cover once the glove box is open, so you can then replace the lock.
Rover 216GSi K reg. Flame Red over Tempest Grey

Image Image

Russnp
Club Member

#5 Post by Russnp » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:35 pm

I'm not sure if there are still places around that can cut you a key if you have the original Austin rover code. These were supplied as a small tag with the original key sets
98 Rover Coupe VVC
99 MGF VVC
03 ZT 135
03 ZR 115 TD
15 MG3 , partners car

Off the road at present

Maestro van , British Rail
Maestro EFi - in body shop
Metro Turbo

220 GSi turbo
Events Secretary

#6 Post by 220 GSi turbo » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:07 pm

OK, am I correct in assuming that your car has the later dashboard?

I have a spare non-locking glovebox in the garage and will have a look at it tomorrow morning to try to work out what the consequences of you forcing the lock might be.
1995 220GSi Turbo: owned for 19 years
1994 216SLi
2000 25GTi

Daily: ZR Trophy TD

Previously: 216 Coupe L887PTR(1993-95) 214SLi N219EPO(1995-96) 420GSi Turbo L955UKV(1997-2004) 214SEi M884BMR(2004-11) 420GSi Tourer M650XEX(2005-6) 214 SEi M103BCW(2011-12)

220 GSi turbo
Events Secretary

#7 Post by 220 GSi turbo » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:02 pm

Having had a look at my spare glovebox and also at the arrangement of the latch etc on our Rover 25s, I think you would be in with a reasonable chance of success if you release the hinge screws again and then do the 'aggressive twist' you mentioned! The weakest part is the plastic striker plate that the metal latch on the glovebox hooks in to: I would think that the most likely outcome is that you would break this plastic striker (which also holds the glovebox lamp switch) and a replacement would be easy to get hold of from a scrap 25. As would a replacement glovebox, if the worst case scenario of damaging the glovebox or latch occurs.

Incidentally, the latch assembly on a 25 is identical to the locking type: it just does not have a lock barrel fitted in the hole!

The question of replacement keys was raised: unfortunately the glovebox lock barrel on the 1996-onwards cars does not use the same type of key as the rest of the locks on the car (unlike pre-1996 cars).
The glovebox key is thinner than the standard door/ignition key, possibly a similar type to that used on the locking fuel cap that was available as a Rover accessory at the time.
1994 216SLi
2000 25GTi

Previously: 216 Coupe L887PTR(1993-95) 214SLi N219EPO(1995-96) 420GSi Turbo L955UKV(1997-2004) 214SEi M884BMR(2004-11) 420GSi Tourer M650XEX(2005-6) 214 SEi M103BCW(2011-12)

Mr Teddy Bear
Club Member

#8 Post by Mr Teddy Bear » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:38 pm

The key code is on a tag with one set of keys plus on a card along with the radio code in the drivers wallet/handbook. A MG/Rover Dealer with a key cutting machine should sort you out.

Quick thought, and when the people in Wickwar don't want their machine any more would the club consider buying it? I may be able to get one cut down here if you're struggling? :)
Teddy Bear

216 Sli SRS Charcoal Met 1996

216 GTi Flame Red 1992

414Si British Racing Green 1995

216GTi TC Ocean Blue 1993

RoverRevival
Club Member

#9 Post by RoverRevival » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:48 pm

If the club didn’t I would depending on the price.
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
Mercedes C270 diesel P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
For Sale:
75 1.8 auto Connie 70k copperleaf
25 Streetwise 54k
620 SLI Honda 60k
& C3

GTiJohn
Club Chairman

#10 Post by GTiJohn » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:46 am

RoverRevival wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:48 pm
If the club didn’t I would depending on the price.
This is probably the better option....
I like Twin Cams.... and Single Cams

Robsee
Club Member

#11 Post by Robsee » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:06 pm

Thank you all very much for taking the time to give me such helpful replies and especially the detailed ones. I was quite overwelmed by it all.

I got my head under the glove box with torch in hand yesterday trying to locate the three bolts that remove the whole lot Johnny referred to in his post. Prior to that I had taken out the two bolts at either side of the botttom of the glove box RR had referred to, actually there was only one as one was missing. I gently pulled the bottom of the glove box so as not to break anything in the direction of the front seat in order to see behind and lo and behold the glove box came free and dropped, nearly onto my face. I have no idea how it did n't do that on my previous attempts to remove it??

So it was a relief as I now have the adapter nut for the wheel lock nuts available.

Here's a pic of the glovebox in situ

and for good measure the glovebox and dash showing the new type of dash on the model. The oringal seats were all fabric, the previous owner replaced them with these half leather ones but only in the front. Should have removed that cushion before I took the photo.

There are plenty of Rover 25 gloveboxes and lock free latches on ebay but I prefer a locking one and need a flanged screw too. Further good news is that it looks like Rimmers has the lock in stock here https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID002961 and definiltely has the flanged screw. The tumbler is slightly recessed on their lock so I've emailed them with my car details and added some pics of my lock hopefully for confirmation it is the right one. Looked at getting a new gear stick gator from them but don't like the idea of forking out £54!
Stuck the tape measure in the pic before a realised that the dimensions of the bolt are taken as the length of the thread excluding the head and the diameter of the thread.

Thank you very much again for all the help, much apprecaited!
Last edited by Robsee on Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Robsee
Club Member

#12 Post by Robsee » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:05 pm

Well, it was all going well until I got this from Rimmers:
We can not supply this part it`s no longer available

from MG Rover. On the web site it supersedes to a Land

Rover part number - I believe this is not the same as the Rover, sorry
It looked so right as well!

Going to circulate my requirements on a few online breakers. Some pics of the lock below.

crepello
Club Member

#13 Post by crepello » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:44 pm

I have doubts about what Rimmer's told you. I have had 'L'-suffixed Land Rover parts which have been functionally identical to their Rover predecessors, though cosmetically, as with spark plug covers, they may have a different logo.
It would be needless and insane for some to be functionally equivalent and some not, inviting chaos along the supply chain.

A problem with FNC100050 is that it seems to be the latch body minus the lock barrel, which is illustrated separately but not listed - usually 'code' for NLA.

If you click on the part number, Rimmer's reveal what other vehicles use the part, namely the MGF

The MGF glove box: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID019046
Where the lock barrel and key FNB10013G is still available, quite inexpensively: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-FNB10013G

Does that look like yours?

Robsee
Club Member

#14 Post by Robsee » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:32 pm

Crepello, thank you very much for taking the time to help me out.

I relatively recently replaced a broken driver side door handle and it was compatible with a later Land Rover model. The thingy mejiggy rod had snapped inside.

I cannot see the barrel of the lock as it is still in the latch assembly but the latch assembly is obviously the same. I thought about gripping it in my workmate (don't have a vice) and tapping the barrel out from the rear (3rd pic down above) with say a piece of metal or to avoid damaging it a piece of dowl/wood with a diameter less than the barrel. Then I thought that with it being locked it would not slide out without getting damaged and what have a got to lose until the missus made an interesting comment and that was this.

If the glove box key on post 96 Rover 216's and possibly on the compatible MGF's were not the same as the ignition key i.e. one could not replace the key using the key code for the vehicle (which I have) perhaps they made all the locks to work off the same key? In this case I would just need to buy the key and barrel for £5.48 and end up with a spare barrel? I suppose I could buy the key and barrel and if the key did not work I could buy the latch assembly the only downside being two shipping charges.

Any thoughts please.

220 GSi turbo
Events Secretary

#15 Post by 220 GSi turbo » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:49 pm

I think it is very unlikely that all keys will be the same, as Rover used to offer the option of a 'number specific' replacement lock at around 6 times the cost of a random one!

However, if you buy the new barrel and key from Rimmer Bros, you may be lucky enough to use the key from the new one to 'jiggle' the barrel of the old one sufficiently to get the barrel out. (Tip: carefully unclip the plastic surround from your old latch: it will make it easier to withdraw the old barrel. If that doesn't work, you could attack the old barrel from the rear with various drill sizes: this should destroy the internals enough to remove what's left :wink3
1994 216SLi
2000 25GTi