Electrification of Classics-yes or No?

Off-topic and topics which do not fit in elsewhere.

Moderator: Forum Staff

Frog and Ogy
Club Member

Electrification of Classics-yes or No?

#1 Post by Frog and Ogy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:05 pm

Hi all-
Sign of the times I guess, but reading the latest Practical Classics, front cover is a whole load of classics that have been electrified- or turned into washing machines (?) :)

Now I know its coming no matter what-Jaguar announced last week its all electric from 2025 etc, but I'm sorry I just don't think you can retain the original 'feel' of an older car with an electric motor, you just can't. It's a facsimile. It's like a Western town film set, with nothing real or relatable to the façade behind. It's clever, yes, but ultimately, soulless, eg there's no way you could compare they experience of a Rover SD1 V8, with one with an electric motor.

Second to convert, its hellishly expensive, and I think an awful lot of the more 'real' or 'bread and butter' type cars, which I feel does include ours, just aren't going to get that kind of money spent on them....are they?
I think this will mean an awful lot of good older cars will be scrapped in the next 10 years or so, and the classic world will become a preserve of the wealthier.

Better get out (when we can again) and enjoy our cars as much as possible while we can!

richard moss

Re: Electrification of Classics-yes or No?

#2 Post by richard moss » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:43 pm

Banning new internal combustion engines doesn't mean that existing ones will all have to die.

We were told that the end of leaded petrol would be the end of classic cars - it wasn't, nor were any of the other scare stories.

People are already producing the gear needed to convert cars. Currently it is too expensive, but like all tech it will get cheaper every year.

Personally, I think that hydrogen is a more likely saviour for classics, but lets just wait and see, as we have at least a decade to enjoy our cars
Out in the desert with 2 old Jeeps and a Saab 9-3 cabrio
Back home: wife's 1993 216 DOHC Cabriolet, daughter's 2002 R25 and my 1969 MGC GT

RoverRevival
Club Member

#3 Post by RoverRevival » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:10 am

If someone has deep enough pockets, we’d build one...*laughs*
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
Mercedes C270 diesel P80CJM
For Sale:
75 1.8 auto Connie 70k copperleaf
216 ronda coupe
& C3

Topcat Tomcat
Club Member

#4 Post by Topcat Tomcat » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:19 am

A definite NO! In my view, they cease to be Classics if converted!

In the overall scheme of things, Classic vehicles contribute virtually nothing to Climate Change and, like Preserved Railways, are part of our Industrial Heritage.

We can all do our part environmentally, by driving sensibly (99% of the time :angel ) and carbon offsetting in other ways.

My daily driver is a Nissan Leaf and about 60% of the charging is via my solar panels. Apart from driving around town, I don't really like it to be honest, but it does reduce my emissions........or at least some of them........😚
Topcat Tomcat (aka Conductorwomble)

1990 216 GSi Auto 5 Door
1995 214 iS 3 Door
2001 1.8 Connie 45 4 Door - Wedgewood Blue
2005 1.6 GSi 45 5 Door - Firefrost

RetroRacer

#5 Post by RetroRacer » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:22 am

Frog and Ogy wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:05 pm
I'm sorry I just don't think you can retain the original 'feel' of an older car with an electric motor, you just can't. It's a facsimile. It's like a Western town film set, with nothing real or relatable to the façade behind. It's clever, yes, but ultimately, soulless, eg there's no way you could compare they experience of a Rover SD1 V8, with one with an electric motor.
I completely agree.
Whilst I am all for electric vehicles and they are here and are the future, you cannot really compare the driving experience of an ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) to an electric drivetrain.
The main issue that I can forsee would be the petrol itself, as once the electric vehicles really start to be the norm in the next 5-10 years, the petrol will become (as we are seeing already) more and more expensive.
1994 L reg 216 SLi

engtmitc

#6 Post by engtmitc » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:44 pm

richard moss wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:43 pm
Personally, I think that hydrogen is a more likely saviour for classics
Or even more likely, synthetic fuels.
GONE