YES YES YES , WHOOP WHOOP

Off-topic and topics which do not fit in elsewhere.

Moderator: Forum Staff

2rovers

YES YES YES , WHOOP WHOOP

#1 Post by 2rovers » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:46 am

MPs lift threat of jail for licence fee dodgers: BBC stripped of powers to bring criminal prosecutions after agreement by three main parties

Might be a touchy subject for some people, but it's a subject that stirs opinion and blind rage, and this HAS to be a step in the right direction for complete eradication of the BBC's underhanded exploitation in creating revenue to justify a quality of life for its presenters that we can only dream off .

Sorry to post, but I am elated to hear this news
(M) Rover 420 sli saloon British racing green (show car) (walford.org)
51 v70 Volvo estate (200k and still ticking ) Daily driver & workhorse .
01 v70 Volvo estate (205k and is poorly )

RoverRevival
Club Member

Re: YES YES YES , WHOOP WHOOP

#2 Post by RoverRevival » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:04 am

is that a cancelled direct debit I see
Pastor @ Rover Revival NFP Garage
220 Coupe turbo K785OAT
218 VVC Cabriolet R220OVR
Mercedes C270 diesel P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
For Sale:
75 1.8 auto Connie 70k copperleaf
25 Streetwise 54k
620 SLI Honda 60k
& C3

2rovers

#3 Post by 2rovers » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:10 am

God damn bloody right, oh, oops, what dd!

Red Icon
Club Member

#4 Post by Red Icon » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:48 pm

What sort of world are we in when a criminal, because thats what they are, can't be prosecuted. It's no wonder this country is in a state.

richard moss
Club Member

#5 Post by richard moss » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:16 pm

I hope that you will never use the BBC website, watch any BBC channel nor ever listen to any BBC radio station ever again. You pay for ITV programming through advertising so why should you expect to get the BBC for free?

If you ever had the misfortune to live overseas as I do, you would realise that the rest of the world envies the BBC - and rightly so.
Out in the desert with 2 old Jeeps and a Saab 9-3 cabrio
Back home: wife's 1993 216 DOHC Cabriolet, daughter's R100 and my 1969 MGC GT

2rovers

#6 Post by 2rovers » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:21 pm

I have lived abroad , for several years , and there's no way anyone I met envied the bbc , in fact far from it , no one missed it because they had a life to be more concerned with rather than waste away in front of drivel and political propaganda .
If anything , the people I met were glad to see the back of the BBC , funny how people who do live abroad actually get to watch it for free and don't pay anything towards the license .....!

richard moss
Club Member

#7 Post by richard moss » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:54 pm

Yes indeed - we get to watch it. Either the BBC programmes that have been sold to satellite TV providers to whom I have to pay a subscription because there is no terrestrial TV here (therefore it's not free) or via the BBC website which is paid for by advertisements (in the manner of ITV). So free? No, it's not, and a proportion of my satellite subscription goes to the BBC in exchange for that programming so I DO get to pay towards it, and gladly so.

I trust, though, that you won't be watching/listening to/reading any BBC material because to do so would by hypocritical an, of course, dishonest because you'd be accessing it without paying your "share" (a bit like "borrowing" a DVD from the local Virgin Megastore).

Red Icon
Club Member

#8 Post by Red Icon » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:04 am

What you all is forgetting is even though the license fee goes to the BBC it is in fact a license allowing you watch a tv in your house irrespective of what channel you watch. So even if the BBC can't prosecute you they wil pass it on to someone who can.

Scrumpy

#9 Post by Scrumpy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:00 pm

I can't remember the last time I watched ITV for more than 2 minutes, seeing snippets of audiences hysterically whooping/clapping every few seconds to banal 'entertainment' is enough to drive anyone to distraction, I know I am an ad man's nightmare! I suppose I get value from the BBC/licence fee, though if they ever let the World Snooker Championship go to Sky then I will be turning it off for good (not everyone worships football).
Current:
1991 (J) Rover 214 S in Oyster Beige
1998 (R) Rover 416 SLi in Polynesian Turquoise
1999 (V) Rover 618i in Diamond White

richard moss
Club Member

#10 Post by richard moss » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:09 pm

Assuming that the original poster has his terminology right, if the BBC can no longer bring "criminal" prosecutions, then they should still be able to bring "civil" prosecutions. The nice thing about civil cases is that they require a LOWER standard of proof to gain a conviction - a term such as "reasonable probability" rather than "beyond reasonable doubt".

2rovers

#11 Post by 2rovers » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:09 pm

Apologies for the lateness of my responses guys, been working late these last few days and only just catching up.

Righty, here's my replies hopefully in their respective order , firstly , NO I don't use any bbc services, that's out of personal choice, and yes WE as a family do stick to that religiously . We steer clear of anything bbc related, secondly I don't actually have any tv receiver as in a sky box, free view box or any medium that can be used to receive tv broadcasts , because my beliefs are strong and my partner completely agrees we find alternative means of viewing media , we have a broadband connection solely to provide netflix streaming through appletv , this satisfies our children's entertainment, and our own through films etc that is part of our subscription package.

I don't take kindly to the assumption that I am evading anything related to the bbc, we can actually survive in our lives without it,,so as a result of our strong objections to even using any bbc related material I feel that my defense is valid and legitimate.
My point of the original post was that in the past I have had a tv, and a license, and it's been one of those things that have been part of our culture socially for a very long time, haveing been bbc free and satellite tv free for almost a year now we gained some perspective and can make clear decisions on our non reasons to have bbc .

I am no criminal if I don't do anything that's against the law, although the general consensus is that people always assume the opposite just because it goes against the convention of expectation we have of other people.
Why is it that when someone does not have or use something through personal choice that suddenly one is castigated as a criminal ?

Because of my experience with tv licensing in the past, and dealt with their henchmen knocking on the door I can defend my opinions from dealing with the more intimidating side of the enforcement structures that the bbc employ.

We can live without the bbc, and that's how we roll. I shall however apologise in case anyone has misinterpreted my op , but as mentioned in my first post " it's a subject that stirs opinion " , not meant with any argument in mind, but it would be nice if people actually realized that there are still some honest people in this chaotic world we live in.

Anyway..........

How's everyone ?

Andy.