Cam carrier

Having problems with your club car? This is the place for asking advice and help on technical problems. Resident experts will be on hand to help you keep your car in tip top condition
Dazza76
Forum User

Cam carrier

Post by Dazza76 »

Hello all, I'm a bit new to all this and I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm doing the head gasket on my beloved Evie a 214 cabby from 96. Took the head to get skimmed and am now looking at putting all back together again. Only thing is I've found they've loosened off all the cam carrier bolts and according to the Haynes manual it's needs to be resealed when removed. My main question is do I need to reseal it as it was only loosened and if I do what do I use :S

Thanks in advance Darren :)
Evil C
Forum User

Re: Cam carrier

Post by Evil C »

I would think it very likely that they have actually removed the upper cam carrier and the cams to facilitate clamping the head into the mill to get the head face aligned correctly; I can't think of any reason why they would have simply loosened them for any other reason.

Regardless, I would recommend removing the upper carrier and cleaning the mating faces thoroughly and re-assemble/reseal. Rover used a Loctite anaerobic sealant for the job (Loctite 5188 I think), but the one that has commonly been recommended on forums is Loctite 574 which does the job and is somewhat cheaper than the 5188. Being anaerobic means it will only fully cure within the mating area, and any that gets into the oilways will be flushed away by the flow of oil. You only need a thin smear on the mating areas (where to apply it is shown in the various repair manuals, including Haynes) but you do nonetheless need to ensure that it is sufficient to minimise the chance of future oil leakage from the head/carrier interface.

Some people will try to persuade you that using RTV is suitable, but any excess of this which gets into the oilways will solidify there and potentially cause a blockage.

I would also consider replacing the valve stem oil seals whilst the cams are out and the lifters can be removed - well worth doing if the engine already has a good many miles on it, and whilst a bit fiddly to do (and will require a suitable valve spring compressor tool) it is easier to do whilst everything is apart, and valve stem seals are things which often start to fail due to wear at higher mileages.
Dazza76
Forum User

Re: Cam carrier

Post by Dazza76 »

Oh wow, thank you so much, yes I will do all of that as well as the rest of the rebuild. :D :D